Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fumes from stored sewage claims life

The sad new that one man has died and a second has been taken to hospital when they were overcome by fumes while emptying a commercial septic tank in East Cork has reminded us all of the dangers of working with stored sewage.  Always be aware of the danger of fumes when working alongside or inside tanks and chambers, over open manholes and in all enclosed spaces where sewage, sludge or slurry is present. Please remember always to be vigilant and carry a gas detector unit with you. Hydrogen sulphide can render you unconscious in seconds and is undetectable at lethal concentrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment